What is UV-C
“BRINGING THE POWER OF SUNLIGHT INDOORS”
THE UV SPECTRUM
UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C are all part of the ultraviolet light spectrum.
UV-A results in skin tanning and is used in medicine to treat certain skin disorders.
UV-B has a very high penetrating ability and results in sunburn. Prolonged exposure is responsible for some types of skin disease, skin ageing and cataracts.
UV-C has extremely low penetrating ability and is nearly completely absorbed by the outer, dead layer of skin where it does little harm.
UV Technology makes use of the bactericidal effect of UV-C light in the form of UV-C disinfection.
WHAT IS UV-C
Ultraviolet light in the C spectrum (UV-C) is energy-rich light with a wavelength of 200 – 400 nanometres (nm).
UV-C light is very versatile and can be used for disinfecting water, destroying harmful micro-organisms in other liquids, on surfaces, on food products and in ‘air’.
With UV-C technology it is possible to destroy more than 99.99% of all pathogens within seconds, without addition of chemicals, without harmful side effects, inexpensively, highly efficiently and absolutely reliably.
How it works
Micro-organisms are microscopically small. They are everywhere and have an extremely high metabolism. For example, in hot and humid weather the number of moulds and bacteria increases exponentially.
Furthermore, micro-organisms produce mucus substances that are deposited on surfaces and can contaminate food and cause microbial decay of the products.
The cell nucleus of micro-organisms contains thymine, a chemical element of the DNA / RNA. This element absorbs UV-C light at a specific wavelength of 253.7 nm and changes to such an extent (formation of thymine dimers) that the cell is no longer capable of multiplying and surviving.
- UV-C light at an optimal wavelength of 253.7nm penetrates the cell wall of the micro-organism
- The high energy photons of the UV-C light are absorbed by the cell proteins and DNA / RNA
- UV-C damages the protein structure causing metabolic disruption
- DNA is chemically altered so organisms can no longer replicate
- Organisms are unable to metabolise and replicate. They cannot cause disease or spoilage
This process has a lethal effect on all microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, moulds, yeasts and viruses.
Benefits of UV-C
The benefits of UV Technology’s UV-C disinfection systems are numerous, including:
- Effective for all types of micro-organisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa
- No disinfection by-products (DBPs) formed
- Low capital and operating cost
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Safe and environmentally friendly
UV Micro is committed to ensuring 100% customer satisfaction. Call us for a free consultation